It will be a fleeting interest


posted by sooyup on ,

No comments

As you can see, this week I’ll be fucking the Pharaoh’s daughter. Our former neighbour C was given a scholarly text-book on Egyptian hieroglyphs for his birthday and insisted that I borrow it (as a lame excuse not to study it himself I suspect). It has been something to read during the rainy season. To show my progress, I thought it would be a nice touch to give Emma’s picture an authentic caption. The problem is that traditionally only the consonants are represented in hieroglyphs. So “Emma” would be reduced to the single letter “M”. [Incidentally, you would expect “Alfie” to fair a little better, but there was no letter “L” in Egyptian, leaving only the “F”.] Fortunately, further study revealed that, in transliterating foreign names, the ancient scribes invented symbols for vowel-sounds and for the letter “L”. So the caption is authentic inasmuch as an ancient Egyptian would be able to read it as “Emma”. If you want to send your loved one a coded message, by the way, you’ll find help at http://hieroglyphs.net. But the dictionary doesn’t include the word “fuck”.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...