Fifty years ago today


posted by sooyup on

No comments

[Wednesday, 11th August, 1960] Dear old Doris [McGregor] says it every Friday night as we wait to clock off for the weekend. “Be good, Alfie. And if you can’t be good, be careful.” It’s obviously sound advice. I phoned Emma at work at dinner-time to check on the state of the nation. My biblical phrasing “heavy with child” didn’t go down too well, but it was good news mostly. At least, it’s the first time either of us has ever been glad that Emma will be untouchable this weekend. She came on last night -ten days late. It’s been a seriously worrying time for both of us, but especially for Emma, who was really scared. I have phoned every day since she told me and I could hear the fear in her voice. It broke my heart. For my part, I sometimes think it would be no bad thing for us to force the issue. Three more years is a long time to wait. But I suppose there’s no guarantee that Emma’s mother would let us get married even if Emma was pregnant. So the curse has come as a blessing. I know I’m a selfish, self-centred pig, but what really worries me now is that Emma won’t want us to have sex again until after we are married. As I say, three years is a long, long time.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...